Interview - Miriam Calleja Shaw

You have recently published a book called COVID-19and the Virus that Shook the World . It provides a sobering look at virus infections and pandemics, with particular emphasis on the COVID-19 strain. Presently, the cases have diminished in Europe but the spread has moved elsewhere. However, how safe is ‘safe’ at the moment? With the way things are evolving with the ’new’ coronavirus, it’s very difficult to answer this question. The WHO just last weekend warned that the worst may be yet to come. We are certainly witnessing an atrocious amount of deaths and illness in the US. We don’t yet know with certainty which factors are affecting the progression of the pandemic. Indeed we don’t even know about all the symptoms that appear with COVID-19 infection. The relative ‘safety’ is different for everyone, depending on the state of their immunity and certain other factors. For a person with average health who isn’t too old, the danger of getting severely ill may be low – but we need to

Interview - Josè Luis Ocaña


You are from Spain but you have illustrated a number of Maltese books. Did you encounter any difficulties related to cultural differences?

Not really. I think people are essentially the same the world over, despite the differences in culture, skin colour, religion. We breathe the same air and we all want the best for ourselves.

How important is it nowadays for artists to network? Was it always so?

Networking is what really distinguishes contemporary artists from their predecessors. We are now capable of sharing our art with a lot more people and attract more customers.

You have a very particular style that is immediately recognisable. How difficult is it to find your own style?

I am very glad you asked me this question. Truth is I didn’t realise that I had a distinctive style until others made me aware of it. In the beginning I tried to keep my work as simple as possible, wanting to express myself mostly through the use of line and colour. I love doing this. Actually, my father had encouraged me to use colours a lot but at first I was afraid to do so.
What are the most important things to keep in mind when illustrating a book?

Writers usually know exactly what they want or need. They would have a clear idea of scenes, characters, clothes, etc. When it’s not the case, we the illustrators try to extrapolate this information from the text. We try to figure out what the author had in mind.

img-bookWho are some of your favourite book illustrators?

Manuel Marsol and Ana Juan from Spain. And Oliver Jeffers from Ireland.

Writers are said to have an ideal reader in mind when they’re writing. Do you have an ‘ideal viewer’?

To tell you the truth, no. Maybe it’s because when I’m drawing I try communicating with my inner child, something which I believe a lot of us do.

Do you have any hobbies you’d like to share with us?

I love running, cooking, travelling, nature. I also love spending time with my brothers and friends, having some great wine and tapas from Granada.

What book, film or song would you recommend to us? (Yours don’t count!) Why did you choose this?

I like Arrival a lot. The way that the aliens’ concept of time is portrayed, and how this effects human beings, is very interesting. It made me realise that sometimes the way we look at things is, well, pretty stupid. I also love Treasure Island because the book is full of great characters and wonderful adventures. Currently, my favourite song is ‘Everything I wanted’ by Billie Eilish.

To finish off: What is the nicest thing anyone has ever said to you?

‘When I look at your drawings, I feel as though I’m travelling without leaving my seat.’
----------
No photo description available.
Josè Luis Ocaña is a freelance illustrator. You can contact him on Facebook HERE and on Instagram HERE.

If you want to read books illustrated by Josè you can buy them from the links  below:

Ġorġ l-Arloġġ ta' Audrey Friggieri (Horizons)
L-Ingwanti Maġiċi jagħmlu ħbieb ta' Annabelle Azzopardi (Horizons)

Comments