Interview - Miriam Calleja Shaw

You have recently published a book called COVID-19and the Virus that Shook the World . It provides a sobering look at virus infections and pandemics, with particular emphasis on the COVID-19 strain. Presently, the cases have diminished in Europe but the spread has moved elsewhere. However, how safe is ‘safe’ at the moment? With the way things are evolving with the ’new’ coronavirus, it’s very difficult to answer this question. The WHO just last weekend warned that the worst may be yet to come. We are certainly witnessing an atrocious amount of deaths and illness in the US. We don’t yet know with certainty which factors are affecting the progression of the pandemic. Indeed we don’t even know about all the symptoms that appear with COVID-19 infection. The relative ‘safety’ is different for everyone, depending on the state of their immunity and certain other factors. For a person with average health who isn’t too old, the danger of getting severely ill may be low – but we need to

Interview - Matt Stroud



You have an animated series going on at the moment, Emme, about a fluffy blue rock thrush. Episode 4 has just been released a few days ago. Why did you go for a blue rock thrush?

We knew we wanted to do the series with animals to have it set in Maltese nature. We also settled on birds as a good subgroup as we wouldn’t have to reinvent the wheel with how each character moves. Once that was decided the blue rock thrush was a quick choice for several reasons. It’s the national bird, it’s a brilliant blue so it really stands out and it’s a perfect representation of Maltese nature, in that it’s hard to find and most certainly endangered.

When creating a character from scratch, how difficult is it to ‘get it right’? Does it help to have a specific point of reference, like in this case with the blue rock thrush?

I don’t tend to have a specific reference; more often I would create a collage of references that felt right. Just so that when I’m sketching they can give me the right vibe and I get inspired to try new things based on other artists' choices. In the particular case of Emme I knew I wanted to super simplify the characters so he was based on really simple shapes and maths. Every part of the body has a simple mathematical relationship to the rest of him. I also like to make sure that a character design means something or says something about the character.
Besides Emme, you have animated Dritt għall-punt, based on a Joe Friggieri short story. What challenges did you encounter in adapting a story from page to screen?

With Dritt għall-Punt the two main challenges were the art style and working within the constraints of a small dark room as a setting. The art style was hard to nail down at first because of the subject matter but in the end I found inspiration in post revolution Russian propaganda art before they shifted to realism. The setting was a welcome challenge as it forced me to be more imaginative about what we see and how much of it is happening in the protagonist’s head. Those kind of constraints are always welcome … in the end.

img-bookAnimated features versus illustrated books. Are they two completely different beasts or cordial cousins?

There’s definitely a connection between the two. For one thing a lot of concept artists and designers that work in animation have also illustrated books. I think at the core they both fall under the umbrella of visual storytelling where everything in the world needs to be created from scratch. That is probably the reason I’m attracted to both.

How much of book illustrating is actually storytelling as well?

All of it hopefully. A large part of book illustration is visually committing to paper one person’s interpretation of the story. With the condition that other people will see it and it’s not just in your head. Every choice an illustrator makes can, and ideally should be, story-driven. In the end the text and the images should be able to tell the story individually but when they’re brought together they are more than the sum of their parts, weaving the story rather than just telling it. The text and the images can stray from each other for comedic or dramatic effect. It’s like hearing two sides of a story to get the full picture.

Writers are said to have an ideal reader in mind when they’re writing. Do you have an ‘ideal viewer’?

Yes, me. I like to think that in some ways I have never really grown up, whatever growing up means. I think the best we can strive for is responsible children. In other words I'm in touch with my inner child and a lot of my interests today would have definitely interested a 7 year old me. So I draw what I would have liked to see in picture books when I was that age.

Do you have any hobbies you’d like to share with us?

Some people find it strange but I would say illustrating and animating. I love my work so when I’m not doing it for other people I do it for myself. I’m also quite a movie buff and like nature walks.

What book, film or song would you recommend to us? (Yours don’t count!) Why did you choose this?

I’m not good at choosing so you’re getting one of each. The reason being that they deserve more exposure and love. Actually I’m realising you’re not getting anything you asked for. You’re getting a TV series, a webcomic and a song/band, sorry.

The Dark Crystal Age of Resistance, it’s on Netflix based on the 80s Jim Henson film. One of the best examples of adaptation/update/sequel I’ve seen in a while. Great story, stunning visuals. Holocaust of Giants’ by Rasputina, a criminally underrated band when they were still active. They represent a lot of what I loved in the 90s. Necropolis, a recent web comic that went on hiatus but just started up again. The art is mind blowing and the dark high fantasy is right up my alley. 

To finish off: What's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to you?

Tough one, I’m not good with compliments. Different people at different times have said I have a nice smile, so I’m almost inclined to believe them.

‘I do.’ My wife, 2014. Soppy I know.

‘There is in fact a forthcoming project that your style might be a match for.’ Chris Gruppetta, 2015.
----------
No photo description available.
Matt Stroud is a freelance illustrator/animator. You can visit his website HERE.

If you want to read books illustrated by Matt you can buy them from the links  below:

Il-Ħamiem ta' Matty by David Aloisio (Klabb Kotba Maltin)
Il-Ħanut tal-ħelu li mar dawra by Clare Azzopardi (Merlin Publishers)
Fil-Kamra ta' Jonas by Noel Tanti (Merlin Publishers)
Naqraw ma' Mario u Liża by Charles Casha (AVC)
Naqraw ma' Mark u Tania by Charles Casha (AVC)
Naqraw ma' Reno u Sara by Charles Casha (AVC)

The following you can watch for free:

Emme Series (National Literacy Agency)

Dritt għall-Punt (National Book Council Malta)


Comments